19 August 2008

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I have taken all the 7 Habits Training and feel it made me a better person, employee, supervisor, parent, spouse and citizen. With this training, I was able to work full time at a large university department during a time of tremendous growth in personnel and programming, attend college half-time and be a single parent to an active adolescent involved in sports and school. I do not think I would have made it otherwise.

I pulled out my 7 Habits information again because I have found that I am not spending my time as wisely as I could. It is time to take stock of where I am and where I want to be.


7 Habits of Highly Effective People.


1. Be Proactive (Do Not React; Take Action in Advance of Need; Stop a Problem in its Tracks; Move Activities from Sector I to Sector II by Planning)

Fosters courage to take risks and accept new challenges to achieve goals

2. Begin with the End in Mind (What Are We Doing? How Will We Know It is Done?)
Brings projects to completion and unites teams under a shared vision, mission, and purpose

3, Put First Things First (Time Management is the Key Here)
Promotes getting the most important things done first and encourages direct effectiveness


We spend most of our time on Sector I activities (crises).
As we become more proactive in prioritizing our lives,
delegating tasks and recognizing what is important
and what is not important, we move our activities into Sector II.


4. Think WinWin (No One Has to Lose. Cooperation, Not Competition)
Encourages conflict resolution with individuals who seek mutual benefit

5. Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood (Truly Listen; Know What the Other Person is Saying)
Helps people understand problems, resulting in targeted solutions; and promotes better communications, leading to successful problem solving

6. Synergize (Two Heads are Better Than One; Six Heads May be Best)
Ensures greater "buy in" from team members and leverages the diversity of individuals to increase levels of success

7. Sharpen the Saw (Continuous Improvement of Self, Processes and Resources)
Promotes continuous improvements and safeguards against "burnout" and subsequent nonproductivity


If you wish to know more, you may read summaries and notes at QuickMBA, White Dove Books, and Profit Advisors. Or, purchase the book and workbook at Amazon.com. Invest in your effectiveness, reduce your stress levels and be who you want to be.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips

Anonymous said...

Yes, Covey's Seven Habits are valuable in virtually every personal, private, public, corporate, business or related situation. Adults and children, organizations and just plain people all can benefit by putting the Seven Habits to work in our every day lives.

Anonymous said...

Man you were busy weren't you, study, family, work and all on your own :)
I am so glad I 'stumbled' accross this post tonight, I have such a busy period coming up in my life that I've been wondering if I have the skills to pull it all off.
Now that I have re-read these steps, I am clamed and reminded that I think this way naturally and generally react in a productive way. Thanks

Kayla said...

Amen! These are rules to live by! Thanks for sharing and reminding all of us out here about what's important. Anyone who deals with other people needs to understand these things, and it's a continual process of learning more and more as you apply it to each and every situation that life presents. I often get advice from a fabulous parenting site that promotes theses ideas. The other great thing I get from this site is an impressive collection of practical and easy tips and solutions for such issues as time management. I figured someone else out there could benefit as much as I have: time management for parents.
Enjoy!
And thanks again for the sage advice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails