16 October 2007

Discovery Acquires HowStuffWorks.com

HowStuffWorks Another Piece of Social-Networking Puzzle - Advertising Age - MediaWorks-click to read entire article

From the article:
Discovery Communications, which owns the Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet, plans to integrate more than 100,000 hours of programming on HowStuffWorks.com, which had 3.9 million unique U.S. visitors and 18 million page views this September, according to ComScore.



The latest digital property Discovery Communications purchased to help them build social-networking communities is HowStuffWorks. Animal Planet acquired Petfinder.com in November 2006 and Planet Green purchased Treehugger.com in early August.

With this acquisition, Discovery Communications has the capacity to create content that my be easily monetized. The example given in the article is about hybrid cars. HowStuffWorks can provide a variety of information, from how hybrids work to videos of concept cars to related articles on carbon emissions. Thus the advertiser can choose exactly where to place their ads.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord! A company takeover that actually looks like it makes sense.

Someone call the guys at eBay/Skype!

CyberCelt said...

@tigertom-exactly! They must have a *gasp* plan.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I figured out how to manipulate the picutres after copying from the net. I used the dimensions you gave me and voila! Thanks. I was wondering, I see that being a do-follow blogger is a good thing and I was wondering how I could do that. I think it might be increase my readership/
Jenn

CyberCelt said...

@jenn-Here is a post on this blog about it. Do Follow

SandyCarlson said...

That's amazing. And good. Now to get them to buy me what I need...

Anonymous said...

this is a truely great service...people need to know how things work and can't always find it on youtube or whatever. If this is done right I see it being bigger than most sites

CyberCelt said...

@sandy carlson-Thanks for stopping by.

@matthew anton-I remember buying the book "How Things Work" for my son. I think I read it more than he did.

Related Posts with Thumbnails