08 June 2010

Is There an App for Handling My Apps?

I must admit that I do not have an iPhone, Droid or even a hyped-up Blackberry. I am one of those people who must see the value in an item before I spend my money on anything. I guess it is part getting old and part economy.

One thing I have noticed is that there are thousands of applications (apps) for each new generation released. Are they still called cell phones or PDAs? Maybe you have to address them as DROID and iPhone. Maybe you have to add Mr. or Ms. to that? "Master Droid, my I access my address book now? Would you help me find it, please?" "Mistress iPhone, how do I call Europe? Oh, sure it can wait until the next update of the time application."

Now, a device with emergency beacon, GPS, camera (video) and telephone I can use. I just cannot imagine using all the apps that are available for these communication devices. I do not want to download every song I already have on vinyl, tape or CD. I do not want to read the menu of a restaurant before I go there. If I need a yellow-brick road to follow to get somewhere in my town, just take me home. And, have you ever tried to read a topographic map on a tiny screen?

What has happened to the sense of exploration and discovery that once defined being American? I love stopping at stores, cafes and chambers of commerce to find information. Usually, I hear what I needed just by talking to the folks hanging around the place. You meet the nicest people and find out about the town's "secret swimming hole" and "where to eat real BBQ."

Technology has left me behind. Unless I can hire someone to command, program and update my DROID or iPhone, this era will leave me behind. It has been fun, but the more technology advances, the greater the technology waste stream grows.

If these electronic divas are so smart, why couldn't they find the way to plug the leak in the Gulf of Mexico? Or predict Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis? It is just my opinion, but I think we need to put more computing power into repairing the world we live in, not making it more complicated.

If you need me, I will be in the public library or at the local record shop. Or look for where the buffaloes went . . .

8 comments:

Jay said...

Your post reminds me of my childhood.

I grew up in Upstate New York on the inland waterways. Great fishing, very Norman Rockwell.

Well one day I was 9, 10 I was looking at some of the fishing lures that were on display at our favorite tackle store.

One in particular caught my eye. And I asked my Father "Hay Pop, whats that supposed to catch?" to which he responded. "Fisherman"

Later I heard of P.T. Barnum and his famous quote about a sucker being born every minute. I think that is what he was alluding to.

Jay Jetty
Carpet Cleaning Pahrump

Carpet Cleaning Las Vegas

making money online said...

I am very sure there is an addon for everything. Yes everything.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Technology was meant to make life easier but it seems it is only making things complex.
It appears that if you do not have an iphone or an android-based phone you cannot be productive. That's what the hype is all about.

Personally I can live without an iphone and I do not see the utility of having one at the moment.

Thanks
Joshua
Seychelles trip

fdaa said...

thanks

http://www.pro4arb.net/dir

http://www.pro4arb.net/up

http://www.aflamfox.com/vb

tips for success said...

I always wanted something like that

Facebook Developer Canada said...

Excellent Post!

Your observation is some what similar to mine too. I also think these advanced technologies are just making things more complicated for us to handle.

I feel that without an Iphone or Droid my life is easy and simple. So why bother to buy any of those ?

Thanks.

New Orleans Saints said...

I think technology makes life easy. See like calculations take lot of time to be finished but now due to technology you can use your handheld device as calculator, sound recorder, video recorder, internet and much more. !

RK CLOTHING DESIGNS said...

Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks,
A definite great read…


lingerie

Related Posts with Thumbnails