17 January 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr.

MLK, Jr. was a wonderful orator with the booming voice of a minister. His speeches were mesmerizing. Sometimes, I read the passage below and think he must have had a premonition of his own death.
. . . And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land. So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man.

Martin Luther King Jr.,
Speech in Memphis, April 3, 1968

King was assassinated the next day. Even if he did suspect his time was near, he would not take additional precautions. He was used to the bombs, telephone calls and death threats that plagued his last years on Earth. He was a man of the people and he wanted to be where they were.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I remember watching his I have a dream speech multiple times in school. That must have been quite a day in washington. Speeches are essentially an advertisement, and his advertisements and actions changed the world.

Eddie said...

What a great man... If only we all had half the courage of this man to stand for what we believe in...

Bernie11 said...

speeches is highly required when it is in the advertising business. the choice of words, the used of words in its topic, the correct grammar and the appeal on its thoughts have importance in increasing its clientele.

Related Posts with Thumbnails